Hey guys! We are SO very excited to have the BC Association of Farmers’ Market (BCAFM) as guest contributors on Local Loves Nanaimo today! It is no secret that we love farmers’ markets so when BCAFM contacted us about #MeetMyMarket, having them as guest contributors was a no brainer. Read on to find out more from the BCAFM about #MeetMyMarket month!
Here’s your recipe for a perfectly quirky (or delightfully decadent) date at your local farmers’ market.
Planning the perfect date can be a little (okay, very) intimidating: after all, you have to make sure you pick an affordable, local activity: a place with built-in fun that makes it easy to talk and get to know each other…and, oh yeah, make sure a mini-adventure is also on offer. It’s a tall order.
Problem solved: July 2015 is #MeetMyMarket month, and there’s no better place than your friendly local farmers’ market to tell your sweetie that your heart (ahem) ‘beets’ faster around them. With the chance to win a three night getaway for two (+ wine touring) at the Okanagan’s Sparkling Hill resort, it’s easier than ever to fall in love with (and at!) your local market.
The market’s a great place for a browsy stroll over a leisurely coffee, but if you’re looking for more, here are three sweet ways to amp up your outing:
- Bring your camera. Farmers’ markets are filled with colour and life- that’s what makes them such a great place to make some memories (and maybe snag a shot or two of you and your sweetie!)
- Cooking together is a recipe for a good time. Don’t worry about a fancy meal: offer to teach your date how to make your grandmother’s tomato sauce, or ask them to show you how to make their favourite dessert. Then spend your morning at the farmers’ market gathering ingredients, and your afternoon cooking up something wonderful together.
- Or, hunt up some picnic lunch items together to enjoy later. Farmers’ markets are the perfect place to find local cheese, fresh baked bread, ripe peaches…not to mention seriously amazing chocolate. Pack your picnic onto your bikes, and you’ve got part two of your date ready to go! (Don’t forget to pick up some flowers at the florist stalls on your way out.)
Use this farmers’ market locator to find which of BC’s 125 participating farmers’ markets is closest to you, and don’t forget – you could win a resort getaway (for two!) just for taking someone special to the farmers’ market!
Here’s what you need to know: Meet My Market Month kicks off on July 1 and runs until July 31, 2015. Anyone in BC can participate by bringing a friend (or maybe someone who’s more-than-a-friend) to their local BC farmers’ market and entering the grand prize giveaway just by filling out a ballot at the info booth at participating markets.
You can also enter via social media: just snap a photo at your favourite BC farmers’ market and post it on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook (don’t forget to tag @bcfarmersmarket and add #MeetMyMarket to enter). All entries will be automatically entered to win one of two grand prizes: A three-night getaway (+ wine touring) for two to Sparkling Hill Resort in the Okanagan. Social media entrants will also be eligible to win one of five weekly random prize draws for $50 to spend at the farmers’ market of their choice.
So, get ready to find true love at your BC farmers’ market (or at least a really tasty pastry). No matter what, the farmers are sure to dig you, and that’s a love that will never go out of season!
Ah! We are so excited to snap our pics for #MeetMyMarket! As noted above, you can check out the full list of participating markets all over BC here! If you live in Nanaimo/Parksville here’s the list of participating markets:
- Bowen Road Farmers Market
- Cedar Farmers Market
- Parksville Museum Farmers Market
- Qualicum Beach Farmers Market
Don’t forget to use #MeetMyMarket and tag @bcfarmersmarket! Also use #locallovesnanaimo and @locallovesnanaimo so we can see you at your favourite market! Happy snapping!
– Sean & Sarah